View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #1045
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
We'll require pics of all extraneous work. Good luck in Sedalia!
Sure thing...
Engine ready to drop in, partially hooked up and completely installed. This doesn't begin to tell the whole story. We started at about 10AM and had it running by 5PM. Ran great for about 20 minutes and after rechecking the valves and giving the timing one last look, it was time for a ride. It was at this point, it all ran off the tracks. Suddenly we had a mini-starter problem and more troubling, a serious screech had developed toward the front of the engine. My immediate suspicion centered on the cam button. I'd bought the tricked out, double throw down button with an integrated Torrington needle bearing. I assumed (incorrectly) that it would get oiled via splash off the timing chain. Not! Before that could happen, the bearing partially seized and the resulting metal to metal gave notice of imminent self destruction. Everyone had plans for the evening, so we shut down and reconvened this morning at 9:30. Removed the radiator and A/C components, the FEAD and the water pump. Dropped the pan down in the front and removed the timing cover. Suspicions confirmed. Luckily, nothing had come off and dropped into the pan or [worse!]. While we cleaned up the parts and removed the remains of the failed cam button, Chris, a local machinist made us a button to the dimensions we needed out of Delrin. At 2PM we had it running again and by 3PM, I'd fried the tires out on 3rd street. A little after 5PM I was back home in KC. Last I saw of the '57 it was headed down the street to get gas and then to a local shop to setup the four link and front end.

Moral of the story... sometimes the simple solution is the best.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote