View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #354
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Update...
- Door latches back on (no handles) so doors now locate in a fixed and predictable position when closed.
- Using three ratchet straps, loosened bed front bolts and narrowed the bed front by an 1/8". Bed still slightly wider than cab based on my strings.
- Determined semi-final location of bed. Now 3/4" off of back of the high spots behind driver and passenger and 1-1/16" off the back of the cab in the center of the cab/bed. Using a framing square, I placed one side on the tread side of the tire and put the other side up against a 4' level that I put on the face of the tire. I did this to determine actual space in front of front the front tire to the front of the wheel opening. Measured 2-1/8". Did the same for the back wheel. Measured 1/8". So, the math....2-1/8" - 1/8" = 2". To make the front and rear tire spacing from the front of the openings match, I will tentatively move the back wheel opening forward 2".
- To see this, I cut a piece of cardboard the shape of the wheel opening and painted it white. Blacked out the wheel opening leading edge on the bed side. Taped the cardboard wheel opening to the bed 2" forward and took some photos. Basically did in real life what 47 Fasttoys did for me in post 321.
- Next, I hung the heavy spare tire and rim, added 150 lbs of sand, the old bumper/receiver hitch and about 12 gallons of gas to simulate finished conditions with bed floor and bumper in place. Measured lip height from garage floor at center of the wheel. The rear wheel opening ratcheted down incrementally as follows:

26" Starting condition with no added weight
26-1/8" Spare tire
26" 50 lb bag of sand
25-3/4" 50 lb bag of sand
25-9/16" 50 lb bag of sand
25-3/8" Old TB bumper/receiver hitch (did not weigh)
25" 7 gallons of gas (@ 6 lb/gallon - 42 lbs)
25" 5 gallons of gas (30 lbs)

Very pleased with the wheel opening and stance/rake outcome and, based on this, would not anticipate altering the springs in the rear at this time. That one inch made a pretty big difference to my eye.

Ricky: Rocker at door edge still at 8-1/2".
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote