View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #386
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Cut the damaged passenger side off the new bed after coming up with a plan to hang the '59 sides off the '94. Sheet metal below nice and straight. After much measuring we were surprised to find out that the bed is more narrow in the rear than in the front by 1-1/2". In other words, the bed side top rails are not perpendicular to the front of the bed or the tailgate. The red line is perpendicular to the bed ends and represents the approximate location I will be butt welding the '59 to the '94 which means that the combined top rail will get wider as it goes towards the rear. May add a piece to the top rail so it looks rectangular from the top. Also, the inner bed sides narrow as well from front to back. After I remove the driver side, the next move will be to cut loose the top rails, tailgate support structure and bed front (but keeping them all together) so I can move the bed floor up to clear the T.B. suspension. Looks like one of the '94 bed cross members will need to be moved since it conflicts with the highest point on the T.B. suspension.

Note the Highlander in the background. Headlights had yellowed and faded badly. Polishing them no longer worked. Sanded with 1000 then 1200 Wet/Dry sandpaper then painted with Rustoleum clear coat for made for plastic headlights. Graingers sells them by the can. Bought a case of 6 from Home Depot for about $5/can. Also did the '08 Dodge in the background. Works incredibly well.
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote