View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 03:48 AM   #154
skorpioskorpio

Re: Project Madera: A Jimmy GT

So I've been working out the design for the intake manifold in Solidworks. The original plan was to cast it from a 3d print, however the casting house wanted to get their model maker involved so it went from very reasonable to really expensive really quickly. After looking at it I really need to keep it really short anyway, so I'm looking at milling it. I only have access to a 2 axis mill so my first design, which I really like BTW:
Name:  Intake Manifold.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  19.0 KB
Needed to be radically simplified:
Name:  Intake Manifold Revised.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  21.0 KB
And may need to be simplified even further by the time I'm done. I also need to slice up the basic layout from a block of wood first just to get the angles right. Clearance on the number 1 cylinder is obstructed in all sorts of ways, and has to exit just right to clear everything.

I've decided to move things along I'm probably going to use actual Weber DCOEs at first instead of the DCOE pattern throttle bodies. The whole fuel systems becomes simpler, and I can do all the electronics later. No pressure regulation, no loop back tank, no 02 sensors it's all old school with a new school block. To start then I'll just need a crank triggered wasted spark ignition since there is no distributor on the Atlas engine. I will probably need to run premium in it, where the electronic version could get away with regular. Anyway this was one of the advantages of using the DCOE patterend throttle bodies, it gave me options.

Oh and after months of waiting my headers finally arrived, sorry for the poor angle on the shot:
Name:  WP_20140716_002.jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  34.1 KB

Also Frame is coming along, here it is on the fab table being mocked up:
Name:  WP_20140712_002.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  33.7 KB
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote