View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #32
Jeepwm69

Re: Should I fight this ticket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El conquistador View Post
Honestly, the covers "cover" half of the surface of the light area. How can you say that it doesn't affect the light output? I don't know how you'd argue that successfully with a judge.
Law (again subjectively) says " lighted rear lamp
or lamps, exhibiting a red light plainly visible from a distance of
five hundred feet to the rear".

"Light output"? Where in the law does it say anything about light output? Those covers don't cover up much of the lens. You going to write a ticket for someone with no cover who has a dim light due to a bad ground?

Plainly visible to whom? Me, my 10 year old with perfect eyesight, or my 78 year old father?

THAT is why I would fight that ticket.

Cape Codder, you've gotten lucky. It's that simple. Just because YOU've gotten lucky doesn't make what I said untrue.

Like you, I don't get tickets. I drive under the speed limit to keep my MPG up. I even wear my seatbelt like a good little subject, even though that is a totally BS law designed to, you guessed it, raise revenue. No helmet laws for motorcycles in Arkansas, but you have to wear a seatbelt.

The slimebag legislators slid that one under the radar as a secondary offense, meaning you couldn't be ticketed for it unless you had been pulled over for another reason. Then they amended it after a few years to be a primary offense. The ticket is $25, but the locals can add another $20 for city and $25 for county fines for it. Guess what MY local PD does? They sit around writing tickets for seatbelts, and collect their revenue.

Tell me again how not wearing a seatbelt hurts anyone other than the person who made the choice to not wear one? I wore them long before either law was put into place, but if someone chooses NOT to wear one, why should they be forced to do so? Oh yeah. Great for collecting revenue.

A simple search will show revenue traps all over this country, from red light cameras with reduced yellow light time, to speed traps in tiny spots on the map

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/09/us/ham...da-corruption/

I'm not saying all police are bad guys. It's a one of the professions I have most respected over the years, but it's changing, and not for the good. As with everything, in the end it's all about money.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote