View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #34
Gary V

Smile Re: 66 Pro Street Build (Domeringer)

When I decided to fab up my own 9" rear end, I went looking around on the net for some good instruction. Was kind of disappointed that no one had taken the time to document a how to. There were plenty of home made jigs for doing one thing or another. But not a start to finish... so here we go.

To recap we're using a 3.25 Strange Center Section (part no. H1112) and 3.25 X 1/4 Wall DOM Tube. The rear will also get a back brace and that is the main reason for this jig... will explain as we go along

We're going to have to deflect or bend the rear end axle tubes down on this jig when the back brace is welded to the tubes and housing. When the brace gets welded to the back along the length, the weld will actually pull or deflect the tubes to the rear. What we're going to do is deflect the rear before the welding process so that when the weld cools it comes back to where it needs to be.... hopefully

The Rear End Jig

We need a good straight rear end fabrication with concentric tubes . To accomplish that 4 bushings were machined to a slip fit for the ID of the 3.25 DOM Tube and the OD of a 2" TG&P (turned ground and polished) length of shaft that runs up the center to keep everything in line. I should mention that the last parts that get welded to the rear are the housing ends... so a different bushed version of this internal alignment jig will also get used later.

Finished the welding of the tubes to the center housing. Once everything cooled the shaft would turn and was easily removed! Mission accomplished! A straight concentric rear end assembly! This rear end could be used as is without the back brace but we're going to be putting some big horsepower to this heavy truck... so well add the brace.

Ok enough for today I need tomorrow I will finish the bend jig and post some more pics and info.

Gary

DOMERINGER BUILD

Last edited by Gary V; 08-02-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Gary V is offline   Reply With Quote