View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #385
SCOTI

Re: My daily driver/beater : How I turned lemons in lemonade

[quote=Porterbuilt Street Rods;6790748]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post

Sounds good Kevin!

I was just curious on the set-up and original layout for mock-up.

I am not a big fan of the short bar 2-link due to the pinion angle change... and I could see how that coupled with some lateral shift could turn you off rather quickly.

Sounds like you have plenty to do before the front parts arrive!

Nate
I discussed possibilities w/Kevin when he was in his planning stage. I've seen alot of 2-link/Billy Bar set-ups out there so they can work I've just never experienced the how good or how bad they really are. The guys you ask about them always say they're great & that anyone who says differently is not going by actual experience; just heresay.

So I did comparisons between a 67-72 T/A & a short (</=24" length) bar for pinion change & there was a significant difference from what I recall (I wrote down the info but that was years ago). Combine that w/the fixed poly bushings most use & I don't see how they can work well much less be be 'great'.

That being said, we discussed the use of the swivel joint (you know how much I like 'em ) to compensate for the possible binding but didn't discuss shock layout & I feel there prob wouldn't have been the dramatic 'snap' of the tacked mounts had they been set-up to allow lateral shift to compensate for axle movement during suspension travel. I know my original concept for my 'tweaked' 4-bar was similar until I considered that axle had the ability to shift approx .500" through it's 4.5" of movement from ride height (approx 26" Panhard bar). With mine set-up to allow the side shift, there are no issues w/bind (I can install the shocks @ full extension or compression; but it's gets REAL tight between the PHB axle mount & the pass side shock when on the bumpstops). There's not much room for the PHB, PHB mount, shocks & 2.5" exhaust pipe.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote