View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #386
PBFAB.COM

Re: My daily driver/beater : How I turned lemons in lemonade

[quote=SCOTI;6790782]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods View Post

I discussed possibilities w/Kevin when he was in his planning stage. I've seen alot of 2-link/Billy Bar set-ups out there so they can work I've just never experienced the how good or how bad they really are. The guys you ask about them always say they're great & that anyone who says differently is not going by actual experience; just heresay.

So I did comparisons between a 67-72 T/A & a short (</=24" length) bar for pinion change & there was a significant difference from what I recall (I wrote down the info but that was years ago). Combine that w/the fixed poly bushings most use & I don't see how they can work well much less be be 'great'.

That being said, we discussed the use of the swivel joint (you know how much I like 'em ) to compensate for the possible binding but didn't discuss shock layout & I feel there prob wouldn't have been the dramatic 'snap' of the tacked mounts had they been set-up to allow lateral shift to compensate for axle movement during suspension travel. I know my original concept for my 'tweaked' 4-bar was similar until I considered that axle had the ability to shift approx .500" through it's 4.5" of movement from ride height (approx 26" Panhard bar). With mine set-up to allow the side shift, there are no issues w/bind (I can install the shocks @ full extension or compression; but it's gets REAL tight between the PHB axle mount & the pass side shock when on the bumpstops). There's not much room for the PHB, PHB mount, shocks & 2.5" exhaust pipe.....
The 2-link is definitely one of those areas where LENGTH MATTERS. Longer the bar, the larger the arc of the suspension travel, and thus the lesser amount of pinion change through travel. There are always Pros and Cons to any suspension configuration.... no such thing as the "best of everything" when it comes to suspension systems. One just has to make a list of "must haves" and then pick the system that best meets the needs of the list.

2-links are quite popular for their simplicity and cost. They work well under certain parameters. For example if you like to drive at a certain height that the travel range is within a 3" variance... with a proper 2-link set up correctly for these conditions, one might not ever have any issues or concerns with the pinion angle change (a few degrees of pinion angle change = driveline harmonics). BUT if one plans to drive the truck at say 5" off the ground and also wants to drive it at 1" off the ground AND also wants to drive it at 10" off the ground (9" or so of range)..... there will be a ton of driveline issues that present themselves over time.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson