View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 10:59 PM   #328
sodly

Re: most original 60-66 truck in existence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Submarine View Post
Is that an old hydraulically-actuated trailer brake controller next to the hazard flasher knob?
Yup, sure is. As I understand it the original owner used the truck to haul his 1917 Buick to car shows back in the day. I even found some old car show window signs in the truck, probably from the 60s or 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-66 View Post
Really cleaned up nice Sodly . Really nice. Like these pictures to . Shows off all your hard work cleaning this Beauty back to its true glory !! Edit .. Had to add this.this is a great example of just plain preservation of originality and a great example of they looked like new, this look will never die .
Thanks for the kind words. Coming from you that means a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
Nice truck. The color looks awesome and I really like the rim/cap combo!!
Me, too. These lock ring wheels have an old look you just never see anymore (except maybe on UPS trucks). It really stands out, to my eye. All of the silver paint on the truck is original, too. Many times (on the rare occasion that I do see these original two piece wheels still on a truck) they've been painted a different, incorrect silver or some other color which really looks weird to me. That said, I have a 1966 Custom Camper promotional film from GM and the truck in the film has red wheels and red lock rings so I guess some of them must've come painted body color, too.

And, like I mentioned, I rarely ever see Dark Blue on these trucks for some reason.... at least not on unrestored trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
Yes! Your truck looks awesome! I too think those factory wheels and caps, with those tall beefy tires look reeeaally good! Have you found tire replacements yet? I hope you are enjoying driving it a bunch. I'll take any excuse to drive my CC, even for short errands, as it never fails to bring a smile.
Thanks, oem! Your opinion carries a lot of weight, too! I'm gonna run these old skins for awhile until I have a reason not to. Bias ply is where it's at (he says as he swerves down the road)! They just look so right.

Seems the more I study these trucks the more I'm realizing that "dolled up" C20s were pretty few and far between. In particular, chrome hub caps on a C20 are quite a rarity. I always pay attention to background shots on old tv shows (Adam-12, Emergency! anyone?), old magazines and vintage photographs and you almost never saw chromed-up 3/4 tons back in the day... except in GM ads, of course.

Thanks for the nice words, everyone.

Custom Camper Club-- Own a 65-66 Custom Camper? Join us at: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/g...hp?groupid=117

Last edited by sodly; 09-08-2014 at 11:06 PM.
sodly is offline   Reply With Quote