View Single Post
Old 09-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
NEWFISHER

T5 T-5 transmission to 235 inline or V8 with 10 spline the easy way

The 3 speed in the 46 burb was killing me and couldnt wait any longer for some time to do the ls swap so I pulled the 3 speed and tossed in a T5. I'm running a 55 235 and rear axle for now. There are a hundred threads on a thousand boards how to do this and it really is about a half day of work once you have all the pieces. The T5 I used was an electric one. Im going to run a 4l60 later so getting a TransX box to covert elect signal to mechanical cable drive speedo was just another needed item. The T5 is 3 inches longer than the 3speed so have the driveline shortened ahead of time. I ordered a jeep input shaft with 10 splines ( p/n 1351-085-008) and shortened the tip with a bevel and shortened the throw out bearing collar to the same distance as the 3 speed one. Measured the shifter hole and a 3 inch hole saw did the trick. Trimmed the carpet and now need to fill the old hole with a cup holder or have new carpet cut and bound. I pulled the o.e. crossmember and re used it, just slid it back. A flat piece of steel welded to the front will capture the T5 mounting holes. Slid the trans in and fits like a glove. I had to modify the train handle ebrake that runs through the floor in the 46 but 47-72 guys wont have an issue. This swap will work on any 10 spline 1" od input shaft GM clutch equipped truck. All inliners and most V8's in the early years from what I am finding. The shaft was $70 shipped and I got to keep my newer clutch stuff.
Attached Images

Last edited by NEWFISHER; 09-27-2014 at 02:58 PM.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote