View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #58
SCOTI

Re: My 89 CC Dually: Double Wide

One step forward..... 3 steps back.

A-arm mock up & measurements were done using the larger C30 spec'd dbl convoluted Firestone bags. Once everything was tacked together I test fit one of the bags w/50psi of air to verify clearances.

With the arms almost done now, I assembled the pass side so I could set it down on its full weight to allow disassembly of the drivers side. When I did this, I noticed my margin of clearance was reduced more than I cared for. I could not wedge a yard stick between the bag & F/R 'pocket' edges on the a-arm. It doesn't touch; but it's also just sitting still....

So I looked up alternative bag choices & decided to change directions. A call to AZ Perf was made & I now have a set of Porterbuilts lower arms on order. Nice thing about these is I get the caster benefit, bag clearance, & they already have the sway bar bracket that I'll need so that means fab work on the front should be done.

At least the a-arm mod put the bag & ride heights right where I was expecting (~6" @ 100psi). I'll prob go ahead & finish them out & use them on a 1/2 ton since the smaller diameter 7" bags would clear w/o issue.

Now I'm working on air leaks. It seems my compressor feeding the tank for the rear bags is leaking down. Tank is good (submerged/leak tested @ 50psi) but when connected to the compressor only, it will bleed down over night (enough to kick the comp on).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote