View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #22
jamyers

Re: 1969 C10 Longbed BubbaTruck

A "Before" pic of the rusted out sections along the bottom and top of the Driver's side air vent. 2 areas rusted through, grr. Dang GM and their 60's water-traps!

"After pics of the fiberglass repairs. Resin, then cloth, then resin, then more cloth, etc. I should have stuck a toothpick into the holes for the vent door pin/hinges, as once the fiberglass set up the next day I had to re-drill new holes (doh!)

It ain't pretty, as I just sanded it smooth enough so that if I ever have to stick my hand up in there I won't get pull back a bloody stump full of glass fiber shards. Some good ole semi-gloss black paint and we're on to the next step!

Oh, and I've pop-riveted a piece of galvanized sheet metal into the floor area below the vent, leaving a much larger drain area. I don't know if it matters much, but I didn't want to leave the entire floor area open - I'm thinking that airflow through the vent might suffer? And I'll probably just bend the outside metal back into place and fiberglass over the cut lines to button it all back up.
Attached Images

jamyers is offline   Reply With Quote