View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #60
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: My 1961 crew cab- XRMYCRU

I haven't .I have a 62 silver book, and I was hoping I would see a 61 in there- a lot of the ad's show the previous years model.
it is not a stageway, because I have literature from 1960 showing a straight post rear door like yours.
I have pictures of an orrville metal specialty truck, and they have the rear door like mine, but the roof is done different, the split starts after the hump, and the whole second 1/2 is taller... Crown, also located in orrville, Oh. shows the same basic cab as the orrville metal specialty co., even though both companies show a different address.
the same goes with automotive industries, and proctor keefe, they both have a bit longer of a rear door, about 4 inches of the "dog leg" is still there.
I have not seen any literature yet for the kind that has the short rear door, and the flat roof like mine.
I do have pics of 7 different trucks -mine included- and 5 of them show army green under the paint, I think all 7 are 3/4 ton 2wd 61's , and they all have the same roof, and are 4 door...

btw -no insult taken, I kinda like the crudeness of it, it makes the conversion seem a bit more attainable to the average joe....**
a while back I was thinking of just building my own crew cab, and I was going to call it "project crude cab" that's probably what I should call this!

** the one thing that is still stumping me is the rear door hinges....I am thinking that they have to be a GM part from at least 1960 or before, the reason I think this, is that they show up on all the conversions, no matter what company, and they are used all 7 years... I just can't place them, I spent a couple hours on google images the other night trying out 60's gm stuff to see if I could spot them on something.

Last edited by jonzcustomshop; 10-24-2014 at 10:57 PM.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote