View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #1093
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiChallenger71 View Post
But you've added and intercooler and better flowing turbo now so your safe egt is actually a bit higher. If its not blowing black smoke your fine to take it to 1200-1300. The 14cm housing helps too.

Turning the full power screw up will add fuel at higher rpm/wot. Currently the wastegate is not used, if it was allowed to open you will lower backpressure and increase exhaust flow IF theres enough exhaust flow to open it and keep it open in the first place. Dont be afraid of boost either. 35-38 psi is pretty common for factory turbos and factory parts.

I run my ppump up to 1400 1500 regularly, but only for short jaunts, not sustained. The newer trucks will hit 1300+ all day long in factory form.
The wastegate was dumping at something like 14ish psi. By clamping it off it spins up to 25ish now. As I understand it, the early non-I/C motors got the lower EGT limits because of either the piston design and/or coatings (or lack thereof) or the cylinder head casting itself because of the larger injector nozzles the non-I/C motors got. I know even the first p-pump motors had a higher allowed EGT limit right off the bat. It has been a long time since my research to remember why it was. Either way, the motor runs under the 1150* mark now pulling hills, so all seems well with that.