View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 11:46 PM   #199
sparkydog

Re: Porsche 944: Actually there is a substitute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cAlvis165 View Post
What kind of transmission are you thinking?
I'd like to run a T56 but I might consider a T5.

After work tonight I thought I would let the soon-to-be-weds spend some time together. Note in the 1st pic the L67 is bone stock - this will be the last time the A/C compressor lives down low and to the left. First stab into the engine bay isn't really worth showing. The A/C compressor came out and it was on to round 2. This is where I left things for the night. I'll let the pics do most of the talking. I love & hate this aspect of a build. It's exciting watching the interplay of all the variables involved in locating an engine. But even after 15 minutes of reflection it's pretty obvious that:

a) the 944's HVAC unit is getting in the way of my supercharger and I know who is going to lose the debate (especially if I want to stay CARB legal).

b) plenty of room up front in the fore/aft direction but the SC's snout and pulley have to either come down 5 or so more inches and/or slide aft while dropping.

c) the only way to go more aft is (again) to lose the Porsche HVAC unit and get out the sawzall.

d) don't want to jinx anything but I might be the first ever motor swap where I don't have a steering box/exhaust problem... but then again the stock L67 passenger side single collector/dump is pointing right into the strut tower and frame.

e) oh yeah and the oil pan will need to get modified or swapped to whatever they used on RWD L67 applications.
Attached Images

Last edited by sparkydog; 11-04-2014 at 12:00 AM.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote