View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014, 06:57 AM   #77
gearhead2069

Re: Starting a new build...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerSid View Post
Any updates gearhead? I just set my D44 under my frame tonight and I need to make a new C notch to get it as low as I want. My rear toe bar links hit the frame on both sides. Looking at some of your pictures it looks like yours are close to the frame too. I may have to look into lowering them in order to get the frame set to the ride height want. Looking to go 4-5" clearance under the running boards. What are your running board brackets set at?
Hey Sid, yea progress is fairly slow as I've been pretty busy and my schedule really isn't working in my favor. Still making progress just nothing that I feel is good enough to post. I have gotten the frame flipped over and welded up the bottom side. I was finally able to finish up with cleaning all the old brackets and hardware off of the frame (I never even want to look at another rivet again!). I "C" notched the front of the frame for the rack and pinion and got that mounted. I have been playing around a bit with the stock sway bar that the c4 came with but I'm not liking how it was going to look in the end so I put in an order for a universal torsion bar that I think will look much better. Just waiting for that to come in so it can be fitted and I'll be ready for the BIG step with purchasing the crate motor. The closer I get to it, the more I start second guessing my decision about putting a 6L80/90 behind the engine. I know I want to go with a 6 speed but man... I keep salivating over the idea of a manual transmission. The only thing holding me back is the question of whether or not I would be able make it have short enough throws for a sporty feeling shift.

Yep, the toe bars are really close on mine also. Unfortunately the Flat-Out instructions really give no explanation nor provide any hint of awareness over this issue. I have been looking around and a few guys have used what they call a "flip kit" which turns the mounting location on the diff and the shackles upside-down but I can't find these anywhere. I also worry about how it would mount because the ends are cone shaped... And I feel that it was probably for a reason. I've seen other guys just notch the frame, so I think that may end up being my route.

Let me know if you find any better solutions.
gearhead2069 is offline   Reply With Quote