View Single Post
Old 11-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
joedoh

slow ride (redux)

I had a project thread but I turned it off last year when I took the truck to the scrap metal yard. I had been working on it pretty consistently since 2008, I got hooked up with a builder who quoted a price then did some cruddy work and when you complained he said "well what do you expect for being so cheap?". He had a lot of talent but was choosy about when he used it.

Next I had a friend work on it to get it salable, needed shock mounts and rear bag mounts reset. he instead blew the whole truck apart and redid a lot of the first guys work. when I got excited about it he got an out of state job offer and the whole truck showed back up at my house in a gazillion pieces last christmas. He is a good friend and tried to do me a solid, but is a better starter than finisher.

I was tired of messing with it, the cosmos was clearly telling me where I could shove my project, so I sold a bunch of the parts including the front clip and most of the air ride. I gathered up as much sheetmetal as I could and towed it and the frame/cab to the scrap metal recycler. the tow cost 57 dollars and I got $134, I took my wheels off and left. problem solved. Happy wife.

That should be the end. But it wasnt. The metal recycler started calling for the title, even though I was clear when I dropped it off that it was not included and he made it clear it was not needed. Turns out he wanted to sell it on as a project, what I did NOT want to happen and why I made certain the title was not needed. He called the cops, I called the cops, I went down there to sort it out. another $57 plus the $134 return and it was towed home. My wife was chagrined that I could still find a way to lose money on the truck.

And thats how it sat. In July the guy who bought the front clip called and needed some money, did I want the clip back? I wheeled and dealed some more bags on craigslist. My friend came over and asked why it was still all blown apart when I clearly had everything it needed. Good question.

so here is the truck right now.

long story short, starting from the beginning in the middle, it is a combination of a few trucks.

a 1998 s10 2.2 5 spd gave its drivetrain, frame, suspension

a 1965 long bed gave the cab

a 1966 long bed gave the front clip and doors and trim

and the bed was part of the first incarnation as a 1962, that could not be titled as a 62 because the s10 had a title and the 62 had a bill of sale.

I will update more progress, thanks to kyle and my wife for getting this truck going again.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393

Last edited by joedoh; 08-26-2016 at 01:33 PM.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote