View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #10
Rod Run

Re: Project TLOW - 1971 stepside

The original plan was to build this project on a real low budget. I got one gallon each of some professional/industrial Rustoleum primer & paint and was going to just scuff the frame and paint it on with a brush, but here is where the project's first detour comes into play. This was also responsible for me changing the project's name to 'TLOW', instead of what I had originally planned.

I picked up some new grinding discs and flapper wheels for my angle grinder to clean the frame up. After breathing in that dust (I did wear a mask) for about 4 hours and using up about $25.00 worth of materials, I was probably less than 20% finished with the frame. I figured that was going to cost me a lot more time and money than I wanted to spend for a half-assed job, so I decided to send it out and get it sandblasted.

Now that it's sandblasted I can't bring myself to use a paintbrush on the frame. Instead I brought it down to a friend's shop and bought myself a gallon of PPG epoxy primer and activator (I will have plenty leftover, to paint other stuff down the road), so now I will be painting the frame with a gun instead of a paintbrush. I've never used a gun before, so this should be interesting.

Here is how it stands right now:

Next I will be c-notching the frame, fixing the coil spring mounting plates (hidden rot), while also cutting out and welding in a couple new body mount bushing pads. With a little luck I'll have everything welded and mocked up, then painting it on Friday