View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
stockiroc86

86 c30 flatbed cummins 2wd

Hey guys, I purchased a 86 Chevy c30 3+3 camper special for $1000. Truck came with a 454/400 combo completely rebuilt, also a completely rebuilt rear end with aftermarket sway bar. I then purchased a 250 straight 6 and muncie sm465 for $200. The plan was to build a high torque 6 with the help of Clifford performance. I have been planning this build for over 2 years and always wanted to do it with a cummins and a 5 speed although the money wasn't really there. I had saved about $3200 when I found the deal on the truck so I went ahead and picked it up. I then looked on craigslist at all different types of cummins trucks and they all had over 300k miles and the cheapest one was 4900. I got a little disappointed and decided to move forward with the project. A friend of mine told me to look again and expand my search so I did and stumbled across a 96 ram 2500 quad cab 4x4 with 160,000 miles for $1500. Truck had a 12v with a 47rh transmission and a np241 transfer case. The only problem was that the truck was about 4 hours away in Wilmington NC. I decided to take a chance and go look and see what it was. The guy told me on the phone that the truck didn't run due to electrical issues and the rust was to the point the truck couldn't be repaired so it sounded like a good donor. He was right about the truck but he came down to $1100 and the motor sounded good spinning over so i took the gamble. Worst case scenario i could get my money back around town parting it so why not. The frame broke as we took it off the trailer due to the rust. This made me a little nervous.
stockiroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote