View Single Post
Old 01-17-2015, 01:11 AM   #1622
VWNate1

Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

This engine was rebuilt some time ago and the methods use by the Rebuilder to ensure no oils leaks was to GLUE EVERYTHING TO - GETHER leaving giant ugly mooshes of sealer dribbling out everywhere , inside and out , here are my tools ~ Ether (starting fluid in Foo-Foo cans) to soften up the rubber glue and old rock hard cork gaskets , metal scraper to begin then two different size wire brushes to clean it all good enough to eat off of and to better control leaks upon re assembly :

Name:  IMG_0799[1].jpg
Views: 738
Size:  42.8 KB

Sometimes I use Aerosol gasket remover to begin degrading old paint , I'll try the oven cleaner next .

When using rotary tools it is CRITICAL to use the $15 face shield ! . I got metal chips in my right eye decades ago the _one_ time I was " too busy " to go get it and my right eye will never be good again , learn from my stupidity , not your own horrible pain and misery spending the entire weekend awake in the Hospital please.... .

I hope to get back to it to - morrow and will attempt to show the usual damaged oil pan bolt holes and how to fix them , sorry about the blurry photos , some are , some are not , it must be me .

OBTW : the face shield gets filthy dirty but it's easy to clean , : use running cold water and your CLEAN FINGERS to gently work the grime lose and float it off with out scratching and ruining it , then shake dry and blot off the water drops with wadded toilet paper .

Wiping it with rags , destroys it instantly no matter how soft and clean you think your rags are .

SAFETY KNOWS NO SEASON ! .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH