View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #364
mrvette

Re: Project: Over My Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjminino View Post
Why is that? They seem to work for gm? What power connections are you talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
Erm.
You need to make sure that connectors are rated for the power that goes through them. "weatherpack" is a trade name for, I think, a Delphi line of connectors - but it's not a power rating spec, it's just a trade name. It's also become a bit like "frisbee" or "kleenex" in usage - it's used to describe a whole phenotype instead of the specific brand.
So, instead of grabbing a ton of generic "Weatherpack" connectors you might make sure they are rated for the application where you're going to use them.
Yup, the type connectors shown can't carry enough current to run say a set of Dual Spal cooling fans...they take a steady ~20 amps and 30+ on start up...., much less an upgraded HVAC blower motor so the blades on the connectors have over twice the surface connection area, heavier wire obviously, and so I find when they get old, even the heavier connectors start to heat up with corrosion making resistance, making heat, ahd melt the plastic, eventually total failure....so when I redo them on my cars, I have just soldered the wire directly on to the relay terminals, grenade proof.....
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote