View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 09:04 AM   #8
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: What do I gain ?

The Banks air filter intake provides something that most of the other air cleaner setups doesn't, and that includes the factory unit. It has an opening to the lower fender well and through that opening, the cooler air is ducted into the engine intake. The others take air from inside the engine compartment for the most part and that air temp impacts the IAC for the engine. The factory unit pulls air from behind the headlight and is not as effective at that as one would believe. Then include the convoluted pathway and the factory air filter and there are some restrictions that in my mind was needed. If you hook up a computer that has the capability to read inlet air temps, with the different air intakes the change is noticeable and the response from the engine is amazing when you look at how much timing is pulled while accelerating on a hot day. The Banks unit helped me lower my Inlet air temp by a large amount and the timing now stays where we want it for performance. It was worth the money to me to get my truck to accelerate better. There is always room to grow.

Compared to the cost of an aftermarket exhaust system the cost of the air intake is not that overwhelming. Putting the exhaust and the air intake together makes a good performance package.