View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #7
rod1701

Re: 4" LOWERING SPRINGS 70 Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4shongo View Post
I have the 3/4 CPP spring kit on both my 1972 Suburban and my 1966 C-10. I did cut 1/2 coil off my 1966 C-10 front springs a few weeks ago and it gave me right at a 1" additional drop. I was looking for a little more rake too. No problems at all, no difference in the ride either. I cut it off the bottom of the coil, not the top. You will hear different opinions all over the spectrum with this, I can only tell you that it worked out fine for me with absolutely no issues!!!! Try 1/4 of a coil at a time, better to cut more than too much.

Just make sure you have plenty of travel to your bump stops. I cut my bump stops off flat and have around 2" of suspension travel now after cutting the 1/2 coil off. Whatever you decide to do, DO NOT HEAT SPRINGS!!!!! I read posts for over a week all over the internet before I just decided to do it....glad I did. Looks so much better now. Hope this helps.
Same CPP kit. At the current state, travel is good and not hitting bump stops (still uncut).

Heating is not an option for me. I learned that lesson the hard way. I had a 78 C-10 and being a broke kid who wanted a cool truck, a buddy hooked me up with someone who did it for $50. Heated the front coils and pulled most of the leafs from the rear. Looked cool. Rode like crap. Then I had a flat tire on the front! Trying to change a tire on a country road with 1 corner so far up in the air on an uneven surface was not a good experience.

If you have a good floor jack and a garage, no problem. When you have a bumper jack and the coil still has to travel to its full extension before the tire comes off the ground, and the rest of the truck is 6" lower...YIKES!