View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #365
yossarian19

Re: Project: Over My Head

So, my trans cooler lines were done in haste and made from 3/8 bulk hose. They don't route quite right going under / past the radiator and radiator support and if I route them right past that point, they ride on the exh. manifold.
Time to revamp the lines with a section of hard line - but damned if I'm going AN at this point (expense) and plumbing fittings are both more expensive than I'd thought and bulky / ugly.
Research time.
Come to find out, various types of nylon have excellent hydraulic oil resistance. Some tubings do, some don't - depends on the specific nylon. Nylons 6, 6/6 & 12 are impervious to hydraulic oil (trans fluid), gasoline and some other junk besides.
OK, interesting, but where does this leave me with my leftover Dorman 3/8 fuel line tubing?
Well, Dorman lists the stuff as made from Nylon 12. So it should be good for gas, ATF and other junk. I'll take a chance. Pictures tell the rest.

So, for $9 worth of fittings and some leftover tubing I've got "firm" lines I can run down the inner fender. I'll use the rubber I've already got to connect to these. Using the Dorman fittings with Dorman line, it's ridiculously easy to put together - just follow the directions and understand that you can't push them in by hand. See my caulk-gun-press-thingy.

Also, this baby is pretty cool (even if he cuts into my garage time ) Vice is a 5" for reference.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote