View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 06:38 PM   #1328
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

I bought a crossover steering set up today. Its something I know I'll need and I think I found a good deal here...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251637875298...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Just need the DOM tube, which I can get much cheaper locally, and then decide what to do for a pitman arm. Should use a dropped one for better geometry but I want to wait and see where things actually line up. And also if I use my current 4wd steering box or swap to the 2wd box. Maybe I don't have an option for that, but they are easy enough to find.

I have an idea I'm working on for all of the frame brackets for the links. I spent a lot of time measuring and laying under it looking and thinking. I've got a drawing of the frame frome my chassis manual and have marked off the important dimensions. Next I'll draw up my idea and try to mock it up. If it works I'll start gathering materials.

A couple things I've figured out so far is that I will probably need to change to a cable type shifter or a direct linkage like Lokar sells. I used it on my C-10 and it works good. And shorty headers. The passenger side header is directly in line with the front driveshaft and yoke of the D60 differential. Its about 2" further back and 1.5" outboard of the D44 yoke. So the cost of this transformation will be higher just for those 2 items.

Just an idea of whats on my shopping list:
Tubing (for steering arm, track bar, links, bumpers and cage)
Rod ends/bushings
Plate steel (for brackets, gussets, etc.)
1 matching tire (Dick Cepek FC-II 35x12.5x17)
4 - 17" 8 lug wheels
Coilover shocks with springs
Bump stops
Drive shafts (length to be determined)
Brake lines
Limit straps
Headers
Shifter
Fuel cell
I'm sure there's more, theres always more.

Total spent so far $5060 with the steering kit.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote