View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 05:57 PM   #52
Rod Run

Re: Project TLOW - 1971 stepside

Started cleaning the engine today, but I found myself getting carried away, so I had to change my plans a bit.

After I did my initial degreasing, I decided that the block would look a lot better with no casting marks, so I fired up the compressor and started removing all of them. then I said to myself, "hey, wouldn't the block look better if it was completely smooth and all the sharp edges rounded off?" So after I started busting out the 3M sanding discs and working on that idea, that's when I decided I was getting carried away and that I needed to start doing something else.

With that being said, my new direction was to start tearing the engine down a bit. After taking the intake off, I saw that someone took the time to smooth out the area under the intake and paint it with Glyptol. Once I took the valve covers off, I also saw Comp Cams roller tipped-rockers.

Although the engine did run nice when I originally test-drove it (only about 2 miles), I kept wondering if the engine was just a boneyard swap, or if someone really did a proper build on it, because the previous owner never drove it and didn't seem to know the history on the engine. Today's findings made me feel A LOT better about everything. Now I can hardly wait to pull the pan off later this week and see what the bottom-end looks like