View Single Post
Old 04-04-2015, 10:34 PM   #1920
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

I’m going through a midlife crisis, really enjoying how my truck sounds with the exhaust cutouts open, which leads to disappointment when they have to be closed as we resume driving on “public highways”. It isn’t the noise that’s illegal where I live, it’s running with a bypass around the muffler. That’s a no no.

I’ve been running Flowtech chambered mufflers for decades. They sound a lot like Flowmasters, but were a lot cheaper at one time and last indefinitely. They rumble like an early Corvette at idle, but get quieter at speed. For years I’ve thought that was cool, now I find it too tame and boring.

So I’ve decided to ditch my existing mufflers and go with something louder to better fit the personality of the truck. I don’t care how obnoxious it is in the cab as we don’t travel long distances in it. Even my wife wants the change as she hates closing the cutouts as well!

After a bunch of research and input from some experienced friends, I decided on a pair of Flowtech Purple Hornies:

I’m glad they are a Flowtech product, as I’ve had such fantastic results with their other mufflers. I ordered them through Amazon instead of Summit, saving the cost of shipping. I was thinking about installing them myself, but for about the cost of clamps, hangers, and turn downs I can afford to have the muffler shop do the installation, and spare myself the backache of crawling around on the garage floor.

I’ll post a video once they are in place.