Thread: 6.2L or 8.1L
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 04:13 PM   #7
monte0185

Re: 6.2L or 8.1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashz View Post
My 2012 is peppy with or without a load in the back. Hook a trailer to it, and it has me wanting a little more grunt. I typically tow 6000-7000 lbs a few times per year, for a few hundred miles at a time. Total combined weight about 15K. Kind of wish I got the Duramax. but I don't tow that often, and it is perfectly adequate when I do.

This is assuming the 6.0 and the 6.2L engines perform similarly.

If I were building a truck to tow, I'd go 8.1L or Cummins
The 6.0 and 6.2 are very similiar the 6.2 just has a little more power and torque than the 6.0 and its all aluminum if memory serves. Could be mistaken on that one though. 6.2 has about 430 hp from the factory. I have no desire to go cummins or any diesel for that matter. Not that i dont like them its just if i were to go to a diesel id just rebuild the 454 to play with and go buy a new duramax 3500 4x4.

That being said the 8.1 with just a tune on the computer and some added fuel pressure are putting out 450hp and 630ish torque at like 3500 rpm's which ought to pull a darn tank.

I will be pulling the camper 100 miles or so every couple a weekends during the summer and taking the truck to shows as well. So gas mileage is not something i really expect. I just want to make sure the power is there when i need it.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote