View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 03:42 AM   #166
JJorgensen52
Simple? What's simple?

Re: New project! The "Red Herring"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-49 View Post
Like to read your posts, most of your posts tells me how to do mine. We have the same problem area's.
Can't wait to read future posts.
The posted pictures and explanation are great, thanks from Holland, best regards Richard
Welcome, Richard! I always get a kick out of seeing what Detroit Iron shows up across the pond. Hopefully my posts continue to be of use to you

I told myself I wasn't quitting tonight until I had the pedal assembly mounted in the truck in a way I was happy with. As you can see, that took a bit.

Trimmed down S10 bracket

I didn't want to mount the bracket under the dash, so I decided to mount it above instead. To compensate for the lip on the inner edge of the dash, I laid a piece of 1/4"x1-1/4" bar in there (more on this in a minute)

Once that was done, drilled the firewall and cut down the ribs so the booster would sit flat

16ga reinforcement plate added

And my junk test booster mounted up

Here's the modified S10 bracket. I welded the 1/4" bar stock to the ears, and then plated over the center to make it rigid again.

And here it is fully mounted in the truck

The two 3/8" bolts under the gauges will also carry my column drop and tie it into that 1/4" bar under the dash; this way, I could have the hardware symmetric ... I'm a little kooky like that

There is an additional 5/16" bolt on the left of the gauges, which ties the end of the bar down. I will probably swap this for a cap head or carriage bolt to make it less conspicuous.

I'm still not happy with how far the pedal is off the floor, so I'm probably going to extend the pedal arm down about 2" and likely shift it towards the center of the cab and inch or two as well. I have the pedal assembly out of my parts Olds to use as a donor for more metal that's the right size.

I also need to make a new dash - cowl brace, because my original was broken and it probably wouldn't fit with this arrangement anyway. Most likely I'll just use some angle and tie it into the brake bracket somewhere behind the gauges.

Stay tuned for more fun modifications - some of you may have noticed I removed the brake lamp switch bracket. Another thing I didn't want hanging out under the dash so I have a plan to make it hidden away ... but not yet
'66 Impala SS convertible 327-QJet-glide (4 speed swap one of these days...) Photos
'69 CST/10 4x4 SWB Stepper 350 2bbl - NV4500/NP241C (Broken Truck!)
'72 Sierra Grande 2WD LWB fleetside 350-TH350 Refresh
'99 K2500 Silverado RCLB 5.7 Vortec - NV4500/NP241C (Daily)
'99 K2500 Suburban 7.4 Vortec - NV4500/NP246 (still working out the bugs)
SOLD
'71 Custom/10 2WD LWB fleetside - '72 GMC K/3500 Dually (Sold to redryder)
JJorgensen52 is offline   Reply With Quote