Simple? What's simple?

Re: New project! The "Red Herring"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Nice update on how you are doing this, will be helpful to a lot of people...Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Yep, me for one. Thanks JJ! Nice work.
This is what I love about this forum so much, all of the sharing and camaraderie! Thanks fellas.

Okay, so this one is a little picture heavy (and I have more, if something isn't clear):

Finalized the position of my brake pedal - I measured my HHR this morning and it was 6-3/8", so I settled at 6-1/2" with the truck which felt decent. The second measure is distance from the kick panel.

Clearance to my turn signal switch - this is with the switch at the bottom of its range and adjusted all the way down, I have about 1/2" at the closest point, and it will never be this far down.

Column drop bracket made

Column drop and base plate tacked in place (I made the base plate to fit the contour of the original firewall so I can seal around the opening). I set the end of the column shroud (so the base of the wheel) at about 5-1/2" from the dash between the gauges, which puts the rim of the wheel relatively close to where the original sat.

These shots show the brake switch arm and bracket all assembled.

My "Rev.1" accelerator pedal bracket. My brake can't bend 1/8" plate, so I did this using the hammer and vice method - I may clean it up and use it, or I may make another nicer version. Either way, it needs to have a gusset added at the top, it's a little more flexy than I would like this way.

Column all welded up. This took FOREVER to not put too much heat on and damage the seals or anything.

Column bolted in, from outside and inside. I used 5/16" flange head body bolts to mount my base plate.

Pardon the mess, I haven't cleaned up any of the welds at all yet

Final pedal placement.

And the money shot! Driver's entry perspective. I didn't have my near-NOS GMC horn button in the garage otherwise I would have put it on for the photo

Note that from this position, you can't see the brake switch or any of the wiring for it (which is installed here). The turn signal switch I am going to loom so it's less conspicuous, but otherwise this is about how it's going to look. And with that big wheel, it still looks like a proper truck!
'66 Impala SS convertible 327-QJet-glide (4 speed swap one of these days...) Photos
'69 CST/10 4x4 SWB Stepper 350 2bbl - NV4500/NP241C (Broken Truck!)
'72 Sierra Grande 2WD LWB fleetside 350-TH350 Refresh
'99 K2500 Silverado RCLB 5.7 Vortec - NV4500/NP241C (Daily)
'99 K2500 Suburban 7.4 Vortec - NV4500/NP246 (still working out the bugs)
SOLD
'71 Custom/10 2WD LWB fleetside - '72 GMC K/3500 Dually (Sold to redryder)
JJorgensen52 is offline   Reply With Quote