View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 07:47 PM   #55
Super_Dave

Re: 1974 C20 Soon to become a project...

Sunday afternoon, my son and I went to the pick-n-pull and retrieved a pristine 1974 chrome front bumper. While there, I wanted a side view mirror upgrade.

I spotted a couple Chevy Beauville's with power mirrors. I snagged a set and even though I don't know if I will actually hook them up to power, I liked the increased mirror size. Plus, I can fine tune the mirror angle by hand without having to move the main housing.

The passenger mirror on one van had the 1" black plastic trim ring around the mirror housing, but the drivers side did not. The second van had a drivers side with the trim ring but no glass... someone had popped it out for a replacement. So, I opted to buy it anyway and then order or pull a mirror later.

The Beauville does not have the same curvature to the door that the C20 does, so using the chrome housing was not an option. We ended up cutting the base of the post off, where the compression washers are, co we could slide the post out of the housing. We then replaced that housing with one of the OEM C20 housings, tightened up the compression sleeve around the post inside the housing and we were in business. I can practically see the curvature of the Earth in that mirror!

The only real issue is the Beauville mirror post grommet on top of their housing is way too big for the C20 housing's hole, so we sectioned the Beauville's grommet for the time being. We tried the C20 grommet but the Beauville's shaft diameter is too big to work with that setup, so I will turn replacement grommets on the lathe out of Delrin to take its place.

Like a lot of things we do, we didn't take any photographs. However, when we replace the glass on the drivers door mirror and replace the OEM mirror, I will document the process and post it to this thread.

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote