View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 09:32 AM   #20
LEEVON

Re: vin tag rosette rivets

When I bought my truck, somebody had replaced the original VIN tag rosette rivets with standard round ones. I can't say for sure whether or not they had replaced the cab for a collision repair or just removed the tag to paint. The cab appeared to be original. Everything on the truck was legit, it had the original frame, engine, transmission, SPID, and VIN tag. However due to it being an older vehicle and from another state, a highway patrolman was required to inspect it. He agreed on our opinion of the VIN rivets but could have easily impounded the truck as stolen. 15 years later, before transferring the title to another state and taking this risk again, I replaced the round rivets with rosette rivets for peace of mind.

Keep in mind that the sale and manufacturing of these is basically illegal. There was a EBAY seller a few years ago who was indicted on federal charges. Numerous threads on the subject have been closed. This forum cannot take on the liability. However with that said I think there are plenty of legitimate reasons that enthusiasts or restorers like ourselves would use them. But if you can avoid messing with the rivets you should in my opinion.

Last edited by LEEVON; 05-17-2015 at 09:38 AM.