View Single Post
Old 06-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
dicholscrn

Re: 1979 (?) K10 Project

So to start off with there were a couple little surprises when I started taking things apart.

First off I realized that the steering column has been swapped out at some point while trying to trouble shoot the windshield wipers not working. The wipers have controls on the turn signal but when i took the dash off to start tracing wires, I found the wiper/washer switch underneath a blank off plate. to back track a bit I bought a Chiltons book off Ebay that hopefully will be here any day and I will go back to this issue.

Secondly (and most confusing to me) the truck has dual tanks. Currently it is using the passenger side as the drivers side does not have a filler neck (I have since found a neck at a pull n part to replace). While researching what I will need to do to get this drivers tank operational is when most of my confusion has started and hope you guys can shed some light. It is my understanding the 78 was the last year of the exposed gas cap and starting in 79 they started using doors? This is not the case with my truck. There are no doors and appears there never was any. There also is no LH/RH selector switch in the cab and also appears there never was one. No screw holes. No patch. Nothing.

Obviously the second tank could have been added and the bed could have been swapped at some point but Im hoping there is some other explanation. I am at least the third owner and the guy I bought it from is not much help, but he also says the second tank is original and the bed has never been swapped.

I usually just read forums with an occasional 1 or 2 line reply and honestly between this post and the last, this is the most I've typed in a long time and I don't even know if it makes sense. I will continue to update this thread though with more progress and pics and hopefully become a better author.

Ryan
dicholscrn is offline   Reply With Quote