View Single Post
Old 06-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #342
Jonlopes

Re: 8 lug wheels - what's on YOUR truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking427 View Post
Update: Spoke with Jeff, in the product design group at American Racing (now owned by "Wheel Pros" out of Lakewood Colorado). He was the one responsible for convincing their production dept. to release the (17") Ansen Sprint slotted wheel in our GM 8x6.5 pattern, with our exact 3/4 & 1 ton 67-72 trucks in mind. He was unaware ARE dropped production of this size. After investigating internally, he was informed sales of this pattern after 1.5 years of production (since Aug 2013) were too slow to warrant continued production of this size. HQ says they have no plans to resume production in the 8x6.5 pattern. And yes, the "blanks" are based on the lighter weight 5 lug (~2500 lb, less material) molds instead of the 8 lug molds, so they cant be drilled for 8 lug patterns. So this indeed echo's what others here have also discovered.

Under these dim circumstances, Id have to agree, the "Ultra 50" is probably one of the better wheels that captures the period correct custom wheel look in an 8x6.5 pattern. If anyone knows of a 16", 17", 18" (16.5" have been discussed extensively already) 8x6.5 slotted wheel or other era/period correct wheel, please share the info

"Ultra 50" on one of our members trucks here;

Those are the exact pictures that sold me on the Ultra 50's. Once I get my motor sorted out I plan to get a set of those in 16x8 and mount some 285-75r16's. My truck is running that tire size now with 0 offset 16x8 wheels and no rubbing at all. The Ultras are -6mm offset so they will move the wheel/ tire out about 1/4 inch so that should not effect the fitment.

The only thing I would change is the Ultra center caps seem to have fake hub nuts molded into them for decoration. I may end up changing them out for plain chrome.