View Single Post
Old 06-27-2015, 08:34 PM   #4
jim-bob

Re: Gas Tank In Bad Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
There wasn't ethanol in the fuel the last time this truck filled up at the station. Maybe it was filled by can with ethanol more recently. Gas from 15 years ago will stand a better chance of running that truck than ethanol from 5 months ago. I wonder if water got in the cap. Even still, I would think the tank should have held it just fine. Maybe not. Could just be condensation that runs down and lays on the surface. I know oil sits on top of water, though. Would the same be true for gas, or is it less dense than water? I've never had one rust out on me, but I have heard of them seeping, which I assume is caused by rust at the seem at the bottom.
Did you remove "fluid" from the tank? I would assume it was enough to fill the tank to that line and the truck sat leaning to the passenger side. I believe they are galvanized or some sort of zinc coating. It's almost like there was some sort of acid involved
..The neck inside is real rusty like powder rust..What liquid was in it poured out when I slid the tank out the passenger side into the graveled ground..I didn't see the holes til later..what I seen was like varnish..what's still inside the truck is a gooey varnish mess.
This is only the 2nd I've removed..I just thought that they wouldn't corrode this bad..Like you mentioned, it's like acid was in it..
I wonder what effect sugar mixed in the gas would do to the metal sitting for 15yrs..
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote