View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #96
roger55

Re: Rear Brake Drum Dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by old cool View Post
Man o man Roger. Im still unclear about backing plate dilemma. I am 100% 65 gmc dana 44, 3:54 gears as original. Why do I need to make a mod at all for e brake. Does it not work with wagoneer drum? Or, is my stock backing plate too large or small??
All I need are the drums.
Why I'm getting confused is I'm thinking you have a 57 backing plate. Mine is a 65.
One more clarification would be greatly appreciated.
BTW, excellent thread. Thank you a million. I'll bet every guy with a 65 or 66 will find this extremely helpful!
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.
My backing plates came with the '65 GMC rear assembly so they are the same as yours.

The e-brake issue has absolutely nothing to do with the usage of Wagoneer drums.

The issue is the rear e-brake cables that are used with this generation of truck use this style of connection to the backing plate:

While the '65 GMC pickup e-brake cable mounts to the backing plates like this:

So, if you have stock rear e-brake cables in your truck or if you order new ones, they won't mount to the 65 GMC backing plate unless you do one of two things.
Get custom rear e-brake cables or modifiy the backing plates using donor plates like I did.

Here's a photo of the donor plates I used along with my 65 GMC plates:

Here's a photo of my 65 GMC plates after doing the modification and my Chevy truck original e-brake cable and the 65 GMC e-brake cable.

I hope this clears it all up for you.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote