View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 08:13 AM   #1392
UK62LW

Re: What did you do to your truck today part III

Finished off installing electric fan and shroud.

Original fan shroud was sourced a couple of years ago to help the engine-driven fan, but offering it up revealed that the chassis-swap plus larger-than-stock aluminium radiator meant it was unusable in its original state. Fast-forward a couple of years and decided it really needed to be sorted, so after various recommendations I bought a used 16" Volvo 740/760 electric fan off eBay, complete with box of relay tricks to aid the install, for £40 delivered ($60).

Fan is not flat faced so a simple cradle was bent up from flat bar and mounted to the truck's vertical supports. The shroud was then offered up and found to cover the rad best laid on it's side - the unfortunate consequence being the mounting tabs now visible at the top but these will be sorted in time. Holes then needed cutting for the pipes and various reliefs were cut into the now bottom edge to clear. Top radiator bracket had to me moved over to suit.

As the engine fan would no longer fit, I thought the two-speed Volvo fan would be ideal, as I could use the low speed on constant, with the high-speed kicking in on the thermo switch if things got too hot. Ideally a two-stage switch would allow low speed to come on once the mechanical thermostat opened but maybe revisit that in time.

As for the wiring, the relay box (at an angle for clearance) made things nice and simple but I only realised after running the trigger wires into the cab that all they need to do is earth, not be powered! Oh well. What this means for now is it's not ignition controlled but I'll sort that in time, as it can run on for a while if hot as the thermo sender just sits in the top hose. Thermo dial can be seen just below the fused relays for the headlight harness. Low speed is linked to the switch on the dash, mounted in one of the radio holes. 30 amp supply and a good earth and she fired right up and it really does shift some air!

Please excuse the state of the engine bay - plans afoot to pull it all out for detailing, including hiding the wiring and fitting parts acquired to date; low mount for the alternator, original air-cleaner adapted for 4bbl, script valve covers, ram horns, etc, etc. I like my stuff to look in-period where possible, so the shroud's primary use is now to hide the plastic fan!

1962 Chevy C20
1974 Ford Econoline
1987 Peugeot 205 GTi
1991 Peugeot 205 GTi