View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 12:00 AM   #304
Z10

Re: 72 GMC Short Step Build

Retrosound Install

Well it was time to get Double E in on the fun, so he tackled the audio install. The truck finally has some tunes and it sounds excellent. The system consists of a Retrosound Model 2, JBL P26t tweeters, and Custom Autosound Undercover II underseat enclosures with 8" woofers and 2each, 2" piezoe tweeters.

I had already adjusted the Retrosound head unit to the dash, so Double E was set loose to install everything. We test fit the JBL's in a few different locations on the dash, above the visors, and decided the top of the dash sounded right and would make for a clean install. Two pilot holes were drilled for each tweeter using a slick drill guide Double E fabbed up, cross overs added and wiring was run to the head unit.

The front seat was removed to make access to the area below easier to access and make running the necessary wiring easier also. Velcro was added to the bottoms of the Undercover II's to stop them from moving around. Double E did an excellent job of wiring everything and the head unit was switched on. With some fine tuning of the tone and balance controls, the system sound great to these old ears. I had run the Undercover II's previous to this with and old head unit and no tweeters and they were a bit muddled do to them firing at the bottom of the seat, really lacking highs. The JBL tweeters made all the difference. If you're not running tweeters up high, you should consider adding them.

This Retrosound Model 2 is a full featured head unit a vast menu and extensive features. Bluetooth audio, Bluetooth phone, USB 1, USB 2, 2 audio in's, and the list goes on. I'm much happier so far with this head unit than the older Custom Autosound unit I have in my 69 Camaro. If I drove the Camaro more I'd replace it with Retrosound. Side note: Keep the instruction manual handy, because this thing has all kinds of tricks it will do, but you'll never remember how to control and set this up with out it. Fortunately it's dialed in, and I primarily use my iPhone 6 plugged into USB1 to feed the deck music and it will also charge the phone. If not using the iPhone, I'm using the radio.

So here's a few pics.
Attached Images

1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote