View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 09:43 PM   #18
davischevy

Re: Where do I start A/C repair

Do what makes you feel good, but,

I finished The red and white truck in my avatar in 1990 and it has been running 134 for several years now and works great with all factory components in place. This truck has been driven to Goodguys Des Moines, Cruisin the Coast, Bowling Green and Pigeon Forge on several occasions. My wife was in there, and if she is ridin' in it, the air better work.

The system was flushed, then we installed a new compressor, hoses and dryer and that's it. Flushing is crucial when switching to 134. The new compressor and dryer was just my preference of starting with new parts.

One of the most common problems with these trucks is no vacuum to the heater valve. With the engine running Make sure you have 15+ pounds of vacuum coming out of your vacuum canister mounted on the side of the "suitcase" and at the heater valve and valve on the cowl. If the heater valve doesn't work, the heater will overwhelm any cold air you have. You can get a vacuum pump/guage at any parts store.

Take note; If your defroster doesn't seem to work, that will be the diverter box in the cab. It's the greenish colored plastic box right by the hump in the floor.

We have four of these trucks, three chevelles and a 71 Corvette, all with factory components and 134 refrigerant.

I work under the premise "If it's on there I want it to work and work well". but I also like to keep it simple. I drive my cars and if I break down, I want to be able to call O'Reilly and tell them what to bring to fix it.

Larry

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote