View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 12:37 AM   #4
kipps

Re: 1987 clutch and flywheel sizing

Thanks for the replies! I guess my hesitation is that the clutch listing describes the disc as 12.000 inches, and I'm worried that disc might not fit onto the stock-size(11.85) flywheel.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ram-88793

The reason for not ordering a 12" flywheel, is when I narrowed down the search on summit for that size, I got 1 option that cost multi-hundreds. So if there's a chance a stock size one will work, I'll check into that first.

This is a completely stock situation, so a cheap heavy flywheel will be just fine.

About the truck, in case anybody's interested -- I spent several years struggling with a 73' ford and a 81' ford, till the 73 got parked because it's 2wd(it has a bit of family history, so it won't get junked, but I think I have a specialized use for it in the near future), and the 81' is parked and awaiting scrapping because it was shot in about every way possible. After learning all the difficulties with Fords, I figured the grass must be greener on the other side of the fence, so I bought into a whole new set of problems with this Chevy. I bought it 3 years ago, and by the time this new bout of repairs is over, I'll have replaced front wheel bearings, all u-joints, t-case seals, clutch, flywheel, starter, water pump, motor mounts, drag link, power steering pump, clutch line, ball joints, tires, driver's door glass and window channel, and rear glass. I figure(as I have for the last 2.5 years), that I'm one fix away from bulletproof. It's a farmin' square, (dairy farmin' that is), and I'm rather proud of the redneck look. It has 33x12.5 tires, but otherwise is stock.
Attached Images

kipps is offline   Reply With Quote