View Single Post
Old 09-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #4
Dirsuper

Re: Where do you want to end up?

Thanks for the reply, and the info.

As far as the shop is concerned - ask away. I drove everyone crazy planning this thing. GarageJournal is a great source of info.

My shop is 30x50 with 12' ceilings (so I can put in a lift when I get the $$$$). I put in a toilet and a deep sink, 50A 220 in 6 places for my welder/compressor(out back)/lift. I also had it plumbed for air (steel, not PVC). I went with one 18' wide 10' tall door because wall space was most important to me. All of my good buddies have shops (I live in a very rural area outside of San Diego) so I had many Friday Night Boy's Nights to see different ideas. I did not finish it inside because....it's a working shop, not just a 'hangout place.' Sure, my buddies and I drink beer here often, but that's not the primary purpose. I didn't want a 'show shop' or a 'look at me shop.' I wanted a working shop. Hell, first thing I did when it was done is pour a quart of oil on the floor - just to set the tone! I had to make it look just like the house from the outside to appease the wife, and to not kill my property value (I hope to end up back in the great state of Texas eventually). Any questions at all, just ask. Like I said, almost all of my good friends are contractors, so I have access to a lot of knowledge.

Rocker boxes are solid. Zero rust. Hell, I played around with the angle grinder yesterday going down to raw steel in a few places, and so far - zero rot, just a little surface rust which grinds away with a steel wire wheel.

I will not take this one off road. It will basically be a poseur vehicle. I want to hear Metallica in my head when I look at it, but I want it to be clean. I take the '88 out to the desert, but I don't beat it to death.

Diffs don't leak a drop. They seem solid. I was just curious what other people think about whether or not to rebuild them. I'm really looking at what I can do now, without spending a lot of money. I need about a year before I can start really getting it done. For now, a little bit here and there.

Here is a pic of the SPID.

Thanks again!
Attached Images

Dirsuper is offline   Reply With Quote