View Single Post
Old 09-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #37
hugger6933

Re: need primer advice

Get some sanding blocks, also some high build primer and a guide coat system of some sort. The guide coat does just as the name implies it guides you how to finish the body spot. If you spray or daub on the guide coat[that is the two popular styles of guide coat]and you start to sand the spot and then you have say a spot right in the center that still has the coating on it it is low and need either filler or putty[2 part] or just more high build primer depending on the size and depth. You can determine this after you have a little practice. I use Evercoats 2 part poly filler putty as it can go on over bare metal primer paint or even scuffed clear coat. It is easier than butter to spread AND sand. I dries super fast if you trying to keep it moving.
Now there is such thing as a filler primer that is one step more than your basic high build primer and it is a product called slick sand it is made for stuff like hail dents I think was the original plan for this product. I've heard you can stick a quarter to a panel and slick sand over it and bury the quarter. Now you really need some sharp paper and lots of block sanding in mind if you use a product like that. I just use a regular high build primer like Omni MP282. I've used more than a hundred gallons of the stuff it is great. Spray some high build then block it with 180 or 220 grit then reprime and see where you are after that. EXCEPT on the panels where you can feel the spot or see where it needs work and then work it first.
Also some paper on a stir stick can really help you knock high spots of a body spot real quick. if you need more help let me know and I'll do what I can. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote