View Single Post
Old 09-13-2015, 11:00 PM   #133
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: My K5 Blazer Story.

Have you ever heard the country song "two steps forward, one step back"? That's how today's work session in the Bigassgas Garage went.

Plan of the day was for me to get the TCC wiring and TV spring and cable install done on on the trans and Larry was going to wrap up the fuel lines and get them all tied down to the frame with the filters. Work was going along smooth with a little help on the phone by another work buddy Jesse since he's our resident expert on all things 700r4. He's another square nut too. Thanks Jesse! I owe you Beam N Seven for the knowledge!

I went on to the TV spring and cable install next. The plunger and bushing were tight to get out of the valve body but the Bowtie overdrives gave a great tip to use the spring and plunger to "slide hammer" the bushing out by pressing in on the plunger and letting it snap out. It worked like a charm. I will say the Bowtie Overdrive kit so far has been very easy to install and the instructions with it are very clear with great color pics to make it easy to follow.

I buttoned up the trans with a fresh filter, front pump seal and dipstick tube seal. Larry brought out the power washer and gave it another douching on the stand. This is about where the one step backward came in. Larry started prepping the t-case for a clean up and fresh paint he noticed something odd about the output shaft. It wasn't centered in the seal. He spun it by hand and sure enough the output shaft is BENT!

So took some time to blow the extension housing off the case and found more damage. The pump housing is broke at one of the bolt holes and the hilljack previous owner made a lame attempt at gluing it back together with silicone rtv. SOB! Larry had tried to drain the oil earlier and got NOTHING. Well a couple of water drops, but no oil. Not a good sign. I've got to search for another 241c and do some research on replacement parts at work.

On to some pics.

TCC wiring. All that was required was removing the silver two prong sensor and eliminate the connector then splice the brown wire to the black one. Done.

Getting ready to button it up with the pan.

Rattle can rebuild is complete.

Uh-oh. This shouldn't come off this way.

Housing is junk. Notice the wrong bolts and washers below it that I pulled off.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to look for another one. We found signs that bolts were pulled off the input side by the darn things being rounded off. Something tells me there is more wrong inside from some nitwit trying to band-aid it back together.

Even despite the setback it was good to get to work on it. Thinking on a positive note, it's better that the trans was ok and the t-case fubar'd as I have more options than if it was the other way around.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote