View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 06:56 PM   #395
racecougar

Re: Bringing the '65 back to life

After a two hour wild goose chase for a 5.3L/4L60E combo (thanks to the less than ethical personnel at a certain salvage yard near Granite City), Dad brightened my morning with a surprise set of seats for the truck.

The passenger side seat was a breeze to locate and mount in the cab, however the driverside seat had me scratching my head for a bit. Using the same mounting location as the passenger side seat, the left shoulder of the seat was hard against the rear wall of the cab, while the right shoulder was at least 4" away. We took a bunch of measurements...the seat was located correctly. It wasn't until I pulled the seat back out and set it on the floor that we finally noticed the issue; the seat was tweaked. If I had to guess, these seats were pulled from a wrecked GMC Sierra.

So began the ordeal of removing the upholstery from the back of the seat, bolting the seat to a sheet of 1" plywood, placing the edge of the plywood up against the edge of the concrete shop floor, setting the weight of the Bobcat on top of said plywood to prevent it from moving around, building some bracing to tie the left shoulder of the seat to the Bobcat, and using a 8' long tube to persuade the upper seat frame back into the right plane. After an eyeball verification of proper orientation, it was back to the bench to reinstall the upholstery, then mount it in the cab. Even a simple seat install can find a way to take all day. Whew.

They do look great in there, though.