View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 03:48 PM   #32
GMC-YA68

Re: 1972 Jimmy + 5.3/4L60E/NP205

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
Thanks for those pics !! I'll be getting ready to put the body back on mine soon also, and was wondering how much clearance there would be between the firewall and engine. The close up pics of the shifter linkage also helped. I was planning on using a design similar to the factory linkage with the transmission to frame pivot, but this looks much simpler. Did you eliminate the detents on the original steering column? Did you change the shift indicator lens to match up to the 4L60E? There's none available for the non-tilt columns, so I modified one designed for tilt with a 700R4. Not perfect, but will do for now till something better comes along.
One last question!! On the power steering pump, which pressure regulator did you use? The one that came with the 5.3 or the original 1972 one?
Thanks, Dan.
Clearance between firewall and engine is TIGHT. I think I could maybe get a finger between it, if that.... I'll shoot some pics tomorrow.

I didn't modify the steering column at all. There was enough space to get all the way down to 1st gear the way it was. Is that what you are asking?

I haven't changed the shift indicator YET. Mine is a tilt but I plan to because the wife will be driving it sometimes and I am trying to make it as simple as possible. If I don't do it that way I may purchase the Dakota shift indicator that way it shows on the new gauges (the way I am mostly leaning to). Since you have a non-tilt I would look into that as well.

My neutral safety was bad. (PO bypassed it) So I grabbed and new one and it works great. Only starts in park or neutral.

As far as my steering pump. I used the factory LS PS pump. The lines/fittings I got from Hydratech were for the LS pump, to the hydroboost and for the factory steering box. It came with a (I will call it a jet, like a nitrous jet) looking fitting to place inside the output of the high pressure of the PS pump to reduce the amount of flow. He mentioned without that it could cause the fluid to bubble and in turn make the pump whine. I haven't had an issue yet, but I have only driven it about 10 miles without the front clip on it!!

'72 Jimmy 4x4 - 5.3/4L65E/NP205 swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663780
GMC-YA68 is offline   Reply With Quote