View Single Post
Old 11-09-2015, 08:31 AM   #9
bufmatmuslepants

Re: 2000 suburban ground issues

I drove the truck and the check engine light came back. Then coming home as soon as I started it the check oil level light came on. It has 6 quarts. The washer fluid light has never come back since I added water, so now I'm thinking that after 15 years and 240k it really is s bunch of bad sensors. The low oil might be a bad low oil sensor, it clears when the truck is restarted. The abs and brake light came back halfway to work today but clear as soon as the truck is restarted. I am thinking the knock sensor is bad, causing it to pull timing on bank 2, causing it to not get full complete combustion, causing the O2 sensor to read high oxygen, tripping that code. I highly doubt the cat is bad, almost every car or every friends car I've worked on, when you get that light and someone changes the cat it turns out to always be a bad O2 sensor, so I think it could be the sensor if anything.

I was changing out the blown speakers and had changed the rear speaker, turned the key on to test it, it worked, then as I was buttoning it up with the radio still on everything went dead. I had fixed the rear hatch lock and done the speakers with the dome lights on for about 20 minutes and then had the radio on for about 2 minutes and the battery was dead. I grabbed the Camaro battery and swapped it and it started no issue. Then put the battery in the Camaro and it was dead, so I charged it and left the Camaro battery in the truck.

Then I remembered my boss said what about a short from positive to ground, and I disconnected the battery and key off, I got no short positive to ground. Key on and 0.3 ohms to ground on positive cable. Is that because of the coils on the relays? Or is that not right? I didn't have time to check if it was like that on the Camaro, but the battery bleeding totally down in 20 minutes with the key on can't be right.

Another thing that I noticed that could be irrelevant is that the lights on the radio for preset 1 and 4 used to be dark, but now that I swapped out those 2 speakers the lights are now lit, which makes me think maybe the old speakers were shorted. I still have 2 more speakers to fix, but I am wondering if the blown speakers were causing a short to ground, but the check engine, ABS and brake lights came on after I fixed these 2 speakers.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 11-09-2015 at 08:56 AM.
bufmatmuslepants is offline   Reply With Quote