View Single Post
Old 11-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #17
jdl71

Re: Looking at a 1965 C30 - input appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by divideoverflow View Post
Oh absolutely. I was just trying to make sure there wasn't anything obvious that y'all could tell me that would dissuade me from even going to look at it. It is a few hour drive for me, so I've been trying to do my homework as much as possible beforehand.

But so far, the rings I know about are:
1. That potential core support issue.
2. 292 carb on the 230/250 (the owner didn't seem sure which block it was, I'll measure the stroke if I buy it.
3. Hammer marks on inner fender.
4. Battery turned sideways and held down by a ratchet strap
5. Radiator side panels missing.
6. Missing fan shroud.

My co-worker told me to check down along the inner fender beneath the battery for rust, that they have a place where the metal comes together and catches junk. And also inside the cab, inside the side air cubbies beneath the dash (don't remember what those are called. My old dodge had sliding access panels where I could reach in and remove leaves and gunk).

Any common rust locations that are hard to see/I have to know where to look?
I haven't seen the ad so I don't know what the owner is asking for it, but nothing on your list is really all that remarkable for a 50+ year old truck. They get hacked up, rigged together etc, so if you like it otherwise I wouldn't let these be deal breakers.

Look for rust above the windshield both inside and out. Rockers, fender corners, floor pans, etc. Crawl underneath and look at cab mounts/supports for rust also. Once again none of these things are all that uncommon (the windshield rust would personally be a deal breaker for me), but depending on how much you want to put into this after your purchase, let that be your guide.

I think it's a pretty cool old truck myself, let us know what happens.

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote