View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #15
JimDirt

Re: 58 Steering Box , Still Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
Is this kit too expensive? The bushing #12 around the output shaft is available separately and quite often that's where most of the uncontrolled motion can be found.
That kit is plenty good on price , with the exception that i do not see any gears in it , i have not torn this one down , but i know for a fact the adjuster screw has been turned all the way in , to the point of no adjustment left , so it is my guess that the gears themselves are worn as well , as i am sure my dad would have rebuilt it if it was just a bushing issue , i would think , i know when i asked him why he did not fix it , he would say it was too far gone , and we had even talked about installing a Nova or Camaro front clip , just to get better steering out of it , after i showed him some articles from Truckin magazine , he had replaced the kingpins several times during those years and it did nothing for the sloppy steering

My dad stopped driving the truck in about 1995 , and it was his "baby" he drove it from the late 60's till then ,and he used to drive across the country from Southern California to Ontario,Canada , every year from about 67 to 74 in that truck , but said it wore him out just to drive it anymore and his shoulders would hurt from fighting the steering , so it sat till my brother acquired it in 2003 when my dad died , my brother quit driving it in 2005 , his last statement about the truck was , it was "scary" to drive (the brakes also failed around that time , and the cam went out , so that is why it ultimately got parked) , so after that the truck sat outside , till i got it this last June when my brother died of cancer

Sorry about the long story , but if i am going to take the time to try to rebuild it , i need a kit that is "complete" with gears and everything else internal , in other words , i want the box to be "like new" or its not worth it to me , i can't imagine the gears not being part of the issue since they are 57 years old , and some things , just do not get better with age , and i would rather go with something more reliable if i can't find a complete kit that is affordable , then to worry that in its current state , that it would fail at some point and either cause a wreck , or leave me stranded somewhere , i would hate to hit one of the many pot holes we have here in Idaho , and end up in a ditch somewhere or swerving across the street and killing someone because of the steering box (don't know if that can happen , but i would rather be safe than sorry)

If you have knowledge of a "complete" kit that is decently priced i might be interested , i know a "rebuilt" box/column is about the same price as the CPP box , which is why i was hoping to find a wrecking yard alternative , to get the cost down , but as i am finding , inexpensive boxes to fit the TF trucks are harder to come by than for earlier or later year trucks for some reason
JimDirt is offline   Reply With Quote