View Single Post
Old 01-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #4
cdub2010

Re: 1984 GMC (kinda) slow build, Part 1.

I wish I could be in Texas, its snowing and 20 degrees now. I'm in the middle of the same job. A TBI swap into my '77 GMC 4x4 LB, "Lucky" for me, my '87 Jimmy's frame rusted out along with the rest of the body. I'm slowly moving all the good stuff to (drive train, interior and wiring) my '77.

I have the drive train, wiring and fuel system all installed and running. I have a stuck egr valve so it idles like crap. Hoped to fix it today but nothing in stock around me, gonna order from rock auto.

I'm working on wiring up a newer electronic speedo cluster from a '90 suburban I parted out. Id probably recommend getting a new TBI harness if i were to do it again. I spent a lot of time cleaning the harness as well as integrating it into my Frankenstein truck.

Some of the bigger expenses were gas tanks, I bought new 20 gallon tanks with pumps and sending units from Rock Auto. Ill have to cut down my rear driveshaft to fit the 700/241, I had an old one from another truck so its not too expensive. Good luck with the swap, A donor truck is an immense help with all the little parts. plus being able to see how it was put together is a plus. I would never have done this if I didnt have a low mileage TBI motor and trans ready to go. I would have went with an LS motor. Oh and yes its so much easier with the front fenders and core support removed.
cdub2010 is offline   Reply With Quote