View Single Post
Old 01-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #11
chris989

Re: L29 (Vortec 454) in Square?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
L29’s are great engines! If you have an opportunity to grab one, go for it! I ran an L29 for a short time about 5 years ago. Actually, it was a 454HO crate engine with a marine L29 powder coated intake, C/K truck L29 accessory brackets, and RamJet 502 harness and MEFI-4 ECM. After months of trying to fine tune the ECM I got frustrated with it and yanked the whole thing then installed a L18 8.1L. The L18 has a lot more power than an L29 but the L29 is much cleaner looking engine without the exposed coil packs and wiring.

Really, to do an L29 7.4L swap isn’t much different than doing an L18 8.1L. Use a Howell Engine Development harness or something similar and have the ECM tweaked and use a TBI fuel tank with a TBI sending unit along with an EP381 fuel pump. You can make the stock L29 air intake system work or use something like Spectre tubes and unions to build your own.

The marine L29 intake. Same intake as the truck L29 except powder coated and the RamJet 502 is a speed density system that does not require a MAF.

Replaced the L29 concoction with an L18 back in 2008
I know this is an old thread but may i ask another question?

Did you try to use the factory air filter set up from the vortec? did it just not fit or clear the AC evap.

Thanks,
Chris
chris989 is offline   Reply With Quote